Sunday, September 23, 2007

Getting Started

For just a little more than a year, I have been self-employed [read: company bought out, and just about everyone was laid off.] It was a real struggle for awhile. I am a retired Army officer who has been developing Lotus Notes applications for the last 12 years. At the ripe old age of 63, I am competing for business with a lot of folks who have been doing this longer, and maybe a lot better. But I am doing alright.

Anyway, last November I met Eric Mack while doing some work for one of his clients. Over and above the work we did together on that project, Eric introduced me to a book titled Getting Things Done, by David Allen. I didn't realize it at the time, but that book would open the doors to an amazing new way of thinking about what I do on a daily basis.



Fast forward 10 months, and suddenly I find myself with several new projects, all of which are competing for my time and attention. Enter GTD - a process that purports to lead to "stress-free productivity." And thus the reason for this blog...as Eric mentors me and I learn to incorporate this system into my work, I intend to record my journey on the road to "stress-free productivity" - the wins and the losses; the ups and the downs. And hopefully you, my readers, might pick up something along the way that might help you, too.

No comments: